Hi Speed Internet
Winner, March, 2005!
By: Jake Alexander
|Jake Alexander presents to us this
interesting design that shows you what you can do with parts from several different
manufacturers as well as some part fabrication yourself.
Jake provided the following information with his entry:
into this month's DOM contest is named "AOL Hi Speed Internet". It uses AOL
disks (from the mail, and about any store that you can think of) for fins, and uses
|a lower BT-60 tube with a Fliskits 2x 18mm motor
mount, and a BT-55 upper tube, 2 hand rolled 1/4" launch lugs, and a BT 55 nose cone,
or a payload section which used some scrap BT-60 tubing, a plastic transiton, with a nose
cone (borrowed from my Blue
Ninja while it is waiting for some surgery) on top. Unfortinatley, this rocket used mainly
Estes parts, but I got an Estes designer's resource pak for Christmas, so I used what I
had. Also, when I was going to paint it, and had the masking done and ready for paint, it
was a launch day, so I took it all off, and ended up destroying the CDs in the proccess. I
flew it on 2 C6-5s, and it boosted perfectly, but
Click on image for a full size version
|the 'chute got stuck in the tube, the
motor mount came out (very cleanly, so it was the glue), but the nose did come out, and it
hit a launch pad on the way down, got a nice core sampe (1") and SURVIVED it's fall!
Next time I'll try it with an Estes plastic 'chute, since the Nylon one (homemade) was too
large for BT-55 tubing, or I messed up with the motor mount, but I didn't see that when I
launched it. I will send photos soon, and maybe a video of the flight, though it may not
be the best quality, being my dad's first launch with a real camcorder (last one he used a
digital camera, and on the big flights that demanded applause, it was still on when he was
|Jake did not provide any
additional information with his submission.